Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com (reference the position and number in the subject line)
Posted: September 2018
Position: Controls Engineer (M0035)
Veloxint Corporation, a dynamic Boston-area materials start-up, commercializes new nanocrystalline metals created through an MIT-developed powder metallurgy (PM) approach. Veloxint is entering an exciting growth phase, and is seeking an experienced, hands-on controls engineer.
The Controls Engineer will report to the Engineering Design Manager and is an integral part of the team that develops and implements production processes for nanocrystalline metal alloys, in addition to supporting manufacturing and production development. Control system design, automation, and documentation are critical aspects of this position. Optimally, the candidate will have significant PLC (Allen Bradley preferred) programming, Allen Bradley RSLogix, system integration, and low/high voltage wiring experience.
Key duties and responsibilities will evolve over time, but will include:
- Analyze project requirements and perform technical calculations supporting design including electrical requirements, system installations, and motor controls among other things
- Create and finalize designs to meet project requirements
- Create accurate Bill of Materials
- Define equipment and parts from external suppliers
- Conduct cost and time estimation
- Design, analyze, work with vendors, and build control systems as needed by the engineering design team
- Perform safety assessment, conduct design reviews, and create standard operating procedures
- Work with a process engineer to integrate control systems into the mechanical systems
- Ensure components and assemblies adhere to applicable industry and business standards
- Maintain accurate records and files according to quality standard
- Ensure systems, controls and electronics adhere to applicable industry (NFPA, OSHA, etc.) and business standards
Key experience and expertise required for this position include:
- Strong scientific/engineering understanding and background:
- B.S. in electrical engineering or a relevant technical discipline
- Demonstrated ability to function and thrive in early-stage and start-up environments
- Strong listening and communication skills
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, with strong critical and analytical thinking skills to understand and solve complex challenges
- Licensed Master electrician preferred
- Familiarity with electromechanical, pneumatic, plumbing, and low/high voltage systems is a plus
- Detail-oriented with the inclination and capability to be hands-on as required
- Strong fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in automated industrial designs including specification of vision, power, sensor, inspection, and communications systems
- U.S. Citizenship required
This position requires an entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to effectively operate and problem solve based on limited information/experience when necessary.
Company currently located in Framingham, MA – moving to Waltham, MA in early 2019.
LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY – no relocation is available for this position.
Veloxint is an Equal Opportunity Employer.